Tuesday 8 November 2011

Time For A Bit Of Water Art

This is a subject I have really began to enjoy shooting and I am sure you will see many many drop shots from me as I am still yet to get the shield effect drop.

I have been chatting a lot to people on flickr and looking at drop images and have picked up some great tips along the way and the improvement I have seen has been very noticeable.

Here are two images of my first ever attempt and shooting water drops: -



As you can see these are not the best images but that is the whole point at the time I was happy with the fact that I had actually captured the drops I didn't really pay attention to the picture itself. When I did which took a while and to be honest after I kept trying out new methods I noticed picture one was very grainy and the focus was not that great and image 2 even though the form is great the focus was poor.

I have moved on since these original images (well I hope I have) 

Here Is My Most Recent Attempt At Water Drops Taken Only Yesterday







As hopefully you can see the images are far more interesting they have some colour to them that have given them some life the focus is far better and they generally look far better than my first attempt.

Have you ever wanted to try drops but thought I don't have the kit?

Well then take that thought out of your head. Yes it would be great to have a fully kitted out studio with fantastic instruments in which to create the drops and fancy lights. But back here in the real world all you need is a sandwich bag full of water suspended above pierce a small hole with a needle, a paint rolling tray full of water and I used a table matt with pink birthday paper wrapped around it as the background stood it up behind the tray, and then used a flash gun attached with a cable as I don't have a wireless one pointed the flash directly at the background and this then cast the purple look I have in the images above. Also a macro lens would be the best option but you can also do this with your kit lens just turn off the auto focus and then place a pen where the droplets fall and manually focus onto the tip of the pen move the pen away and fire away

I hope this helps you a little I know it did me

Thanks For Reading
James

No comments:

Post a Comment