Friday 20 January 2012

A Compelling Story Of A Boy Called Lee

For once this post is not about me or my progress in photography. This is about a very talented photographer Ivor Potter that is currently doing a project called 100 strangers which is basically taking photos of 100 strangers that Ivor knows nothing about and the only time Ivor meets them is when he approaches them in the street. I have not physically met Ivor but we were involved in Practical Photography's Bootcamp together and we virtually met via flickr. Amongst our learning with bootcamp Ivor decided to take up the 100 strangers project, which at the time I was very interested in not from a photography point of view (as I don't have the balls to do it) but more from a how will he get on sort of way. I have seen plenty of candids of unsuspecting people but never of people that actually agree to have there photo taken by a stranger in the street.

I closely watched Ivor's progress (and still do) to see if he actually completes this task (which I know he will) but it was #20 Howay To Hollywood (Jez) when I really stood up and thought wow not just because the picture was taken with time and care but his write up had somehow become more personal, his write ups on his meetings are always good but this one somehow was different simply as he had been waiting a while to get the courage to ask Jez for his photo so you could tell by his write up that he had taken real time getting to know Jez and listen to his life stories. From here Ivor went onto take lots of shots with great stories of students, people with qualifications we all dream to have yet they are on the dole, a bedroom DJ, A guy with an Indian headdress to a guy in a coffin what a mix of people I was thinking.

But today at #62 of his 100 strangers project he really hit me around the chops with his image of Lee a young lad that for one reason or another has found himself on the streets. I will not tell you about Lee as it is Ivor's image and it's Ivor's story to tell so if you would like to read Lee's story click here

The main reason for this post is for people to go and look at Ivor's image read Lee's story and hopefully we all may look at these people on the streets with a different outlook. Yes some are there because of choices they make some are there because they don't want any help and refuse to change. But come on we don't live in the dark ages and we wouldn't treat abandoned animals in this manner. But sometimes it angers me that we can't help our own people in our own country to the point where they get thrown out into the streets yet we can send money all over the world to help others and no this is not a political rant far from it. It's just Lee's image and story hit an emotion not many things hit in me and I thought it would be nice to share Ivor and Lee's meeting.

Ivor I wish you well for your 100 strangers and as I have said before I am sure you will go past 100. The way you take these images is inspirational and the way you get the stories is simply amazing and I am sure I will be following your stranger progress for as long as you are shooting them and I am sure every now and again you will hit me hard with an image that brings an emotion out. Thank you for sharing your 100 strangers with me/us and thank you for your fantastically written stories on there lives I am sure the challenge has changed you I know it has certainly changed me and the way I look at people. If you want to follow Ivor's progress click here

Thanks For Reading
James

No comments:

Post a Comment